Sunday, April 6, 2008

C.T.R.--a Poem by Glen

C. T. R.



I received a tie for Christmas in a regular tie shaped box,

And that was good, ‘cause the year before, I think they gave me sox.



Conservative it was and dressy, came from Janet and her brood,

Diagonal stripes of red and blue, not too good for disguising food.



The stripes of red were kind of maroon and the blue was sort of navy,

Neither of these colors I’d recommend when it comes to hiding gravy.



Not that I’m careless when eating, but sometimes a spill will occur,

Like the time when we were dining out and the waiter called me Sir.



The red stripes have emblazoned spots of lighter color and hue,

These spots have three black letters but no printing on the stripes of blue.



You’ll recognize these letters if you’ve been around LDS kids at all,

They stand for “Choose the Right,” they’ll tell you, big kids, medium and small.



CTR means Choose the Right, repeated many times on my tie,

I boldly wear it when I’m in a crowd or when it’s just she and I.



I’ve had people come right up to me to examine the letters more closely,

Some are a little near sighted I guess, “cool tie” is what I get mostly.



CTR refers to our choosing and suggests that right choices are better,

By reversing the order to RTC, it’ll change the intent of the letter.



RTC, the “Right to Choose,” the gift of agency we’ve all been given,

For all to have this precious right, there was a huge war fought in heaven.



Lucifer, the morning star said, “I’ll save all spirits, we’ll change the plan,

But Jehovah said, “The plan’s just fine, preserve the agency of man.



And so it is, we’re here on earth and we’ve been given the “Right to Choose,”

We learn that rights are affected by choices, choose poorly and rights we lose.



We’ve come to earth for testing and for keeping our second estate,

So to go along with our “RTC,” let’s “CTR” before it’s too late.



By Glen Sherwood, 4/6/08

No comments: