Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tithing Due?--A poem by Glen

TITHING DUE ?

It came in the mail awhile ago

A certificate to dine,

I had written a Limerick for St. Paddy’s day

That the editor said was just fine.


I opened the letter that notified

Myself that I’d won the first prize,

Then carefully raised the cover

To check the certificate’s size.


Thirty dollars, that’s not too bad

From a restaurant I’d been to before,

You don’t leave that place hungry

Well the dessert, I could have had one more.


When fortune good overtakes you,

It’s natural to want to share,

With family and friends and the man on the street

The guy on the street didn’t care.


This friend I have named Larry,

I thought he was a poetical fan,

When he heard about my good fortune

He decided to rain on my plan.


His email talked about Malachi

And how some people plan to rob God,

Should I slice off one tenth of my dining pass

That seems to me kind of odd.


I’ve pondered and meditated

Lost sleep three nights in a row,

Consulted the Ensign and BYU TV

Wondering which is the best way to go.


“Do it unto the least of these,”

Was the word from Jesus’ own lip,

I think that I’ll just enjoy dinner

And leave the waiter a three dollar tip.


By Glen (pay your tithing ) Sherwood, 4/8/08

No comments: